In 2004 my 16-year-old self attended her first Bryan Adams concert (Room Service tour). It was during the last week of the October holidays whilst I was still in High School. I was blown away by Bryan and the band, Keith Scott and his amazing guitar solos. I distinctly remember coming home and announcing that “I just HAD to see them again”. Flash forward 10 years to last weekend when I attended my 8th Bryan Adams concert. This time around it was the Reckless 30th Anniversary tour down in Glasgow at the new SSE Hydro building.
Reckless was first released in 1984 and it’s one of Bryan’s most successful albums. It also happens to be my favourite album of all time. I was delighted when the 30th Anniversary edition was released a few days prior the concert. The original album has been remastered and several unreleased tracks were included, along with a recording of the 1985 Hammersmith gig. Fantastic.
The day of the gig was a great day out- train journey (actually that part wasn’t so fun), grabbed food at the Hard Rock Cafe, bumped into a friends, took a taxi to the hotel, chilled for a bit then headed over to the venue. I wasn’t too sure what to expect from the Hydro but I loved it. Plenty of space, lots of food/drink areas. It looks great from the outside too when it’s all lit up- almost like a spaceship.
We had 4th row seats at the venue, block 004, right in front of the stage- great view. Admittedly I was a bit nervous about a seated concert but then I figured it might be a good thing, given the current state of my hip and back. It meant I didn’t have to queue for a good spot and if I got really sore I could sit. There was no support act and the show kicked off at 8pm. I immediately jumped out of my chair. No one else around me did so I sat down again. 2 seconds later I thought “screw it” and was on my feet for the rest of the evening. What can I say, I just can’t sit through a rock show.
- Reckless- an unreleased track from the album of the same name. It’s a real earworm (and it rocks!)
- It’s Only Love- always a highlight for me. Love Keith’s guitar solos! Would love to throw my guitar over my shoulder then round my body but I’m worried about breaking my face.
- Heaven- Jim Vallance joined the band on stage for Heaven. A wee surprise I wasn’t expecting. For those who don’t know who Jim is, he was one half of the Adams-Vallance songwriting partnership on the Reckless album.
- Heaven (again)- Bryan randomly started playing the song later in the set before realising he’d already done it. Quite entertaining!
- Long Gone- A favourite from the album I’d never heard live.
- Ain’t Gonna Cry- This is the song I’d been waiting for! Before this gig it had only been played live twice in 30 years: once in Cardiff in 2004 (for the 20th anniversary of Reckless) and in Nottingham at the start of this current tour. Loved the screaming at the end!
- Summer Of ’69- my favourite song ever. Love the high-five mid-song
- Let Me Down Easy- another of the new, unreleased Reckless tracks
- C’mon Everybody- Eddie Cochran cover!
- She Knows Me- great to hear a new song from the Tracks Of My Years album
It was an absolutely fantastic evening. The crowd were singing along, the sound in the venue was great and it was a cracking show. Oh, and Susan Boyle was in the audience too! My only gripe- security were rather heavy-handed in regards to cameras (their constant movement was beginning to annoy me). Anyway, bring on the next gig!
I went back to my hotel with a smile on my face and a tired voice from all the singing. I thought that my evening was over. I was wrong. Bumped into a few friends and sat and yapped for a couple of hours. By some crazy random happenstance I then ended up sitting yapping to Keith for a couple of hours. Seriously, he’s such a nice guy. Legend. After sitting around for a bit longer it was time for me to grab some sleep (well it was the wee hours of the morning).
What an evening
One Night Love Affair
She’s Only Happy When She’s Dancin’
Run To You
Kids Wanna Rock
It’s Only Love
Ain’t Gonna Cry
Summer Of ’69
Let Me Down Easy
(Everything I Do) I Do It For You
If Ya Wanna Be Bad Ya Gotta Be Good
Cuts Like A Knife
Can’t Stop This Thing We Started
Please Forgive Me
When You’re Gone
18 Til I Die
The Only Thing That Looks Good On Me Is You
You’ve Been a Friend to Me
She Knows Me
Straight from the Heart
All for Love